Guidance for Parent/Carers on Childhood Illnesses

On Admission

When your child starts school you should complete a section on the admission form which asks you about your child’s medical history. Please complete this section carefully so that we can make sure your child receives the correct medical treatment.
It is improtant that you notify school immediately of any changes to your childs medical circumstances

Question:- What would happen if my child was unwell or injured at school?

If your child was unwell or injured every effort would be made to contact you by telephone using the emergency contact number on the admission form. In the event of you not being available we would take whatever action necessary to ensure the welfare of your child, including taking them to hospital for any treatment which might be required. The school requires parents to complete a medical form giving permission for the school to seek medical and dental emergency treatment.

It is important that you keep school notified of any changes to your contact details in case of emergency.

Question:   What should I do if my child is unwell and is not able to come to school?

If your child is not well enough to come to school, keep them at home and, telephone as soon as possible to let us know what the problem is and when they he/she is likely to return to school.

We need to know the reasons for absence so that we can complete attendance registers properly and warn other parents of possible illnesses in school, particularly if they are infectious. If children are not present the office will endeavor to make contact with parents before lunchtime on that day.

Please note 
Children who have diarrhoea and/ or vomiting illness must stay off school 48 hours from last episode of diarrhoea or vomiting 

Question: What should I do if my child has a medical appointment during school time?

Whenever possible appointments of this type should be arranged outside of school hours, if this is not possible it is important that the class teacher is informed so that the attendance register can be completed correctly.

If you have to collect your child from school, during the day, please go to the school office to collect your child. Children will not be allowed to leave the premises unless they are accompanied by a parent or some other responsible adult.

Question: What should I do if my child has head lice, or I am informed that someone else in the class has them?

If you discover that your child has head lice, (which is a very common complaint in all schools) you should take advice from the local chemist and treat the problem immediately. Once your child has been treated you should send them back to school. It is important that parents check their children’s hair regularly and inform the school straight away if they find any trace of head lice.

If you require any further information concerning head lice you should contact the school office.

Question: What should I do if my child has, or has had, an infectious disease?

If your child has an infectious disease you should follow your doctor’s instructions regarding length of quarantine etc. It helps if you contact school as quickly as possible so that we can inform any “high risk” members of our community.


Please see below useful information and guidance from the Health Protection Agency.